8/26/12

8.26.12


 Rockaway Beach Queens, NY August '12 Jen and Talice
 New York, August '12
There's a new gallery on my site called "What Happens in Vegas". I get mildly crazy when I spend time in Las Vegas... but I like that it provokes a strong reaction from myself and from most people I know. Usually, within a day or two of arriving, I start to feel restless, angry, judgmental. I think I'm better than everyone else. Then, I go eat some prime rib. So yummy. I never eat prime rib in New York or anywhere, really. I'm impressed by the lights, by the large shrimp... the desert landscapes that surround the city are strange and lovely. It's hands down the least moist place I've ever been. The  volume of water required to keep the golf courses grassy and the swimming pools wet must be staggering. Scientists predict Lake Meade will run dry by 2021. I can't imagine why anyone would go shopping in Vegas.
 I'm happy that ultimately the place holds no real power over me as it once did. All of this says more about me than it does about Vegas.
In Mumbai, there are "strip" clubs where the Women don't actually take off their clothes. The men "shower" the Women with money as they dance. The Women keep the dough. The subtext of this (for the Men) is: "I'm rich! Money means nothing to me! I do this all the time! I get so bored with all this money, what shall I do... ah, I'll throw my money on this dancing Lady...  She is dancing just for me! She will not come home with me! I will return tomorrow to throw more money on her!" No problem, everyone gets what they want. A few weeks ago, restless, I took an evening walk:      http://brianscott.photoshelter.com/gallery-list
  

No comments:

Post a Comment